Disney’s “Beauty and the Beast” scored with audiences, racking up a massive $170 million domestically to become the biggest March debut ever and the seventh-best opening in history. The fairy tale remake added an additional $180 million to its haul from international territories, raking in big bucks in major markets like China and the United Kingdom.
Once again, Disney has successfully updated a “tale as old as time” for a new generation of moviegoers while retaining the sense of wonder and magic that made the 1991 animated version of “Beauty and the Beast” a cultural touchstone for an older audience. It continues the studio’s successful collection of live-action remakes of cartoon favorites like “The Jungle Book” and “Cinderella” and helps propel star Emma Watson to the top of the A-list. Here are five reasons “Beauty and the Beast” smashed records.
1.) Emma Watson Delivered
Movie fans grew up with Watson, watching the »
- Brent Lang
Similar News ItemsStar Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope (1977)
- Bob's Burgers Stars Reenact Infamous Lady Gaga Run-In — Nsfw Video (From TVLine.com. 22 July 2017, 7:43 PM, PDT)
- ‘Family Guy’ Comic-Con Panel Pays Tribute to Adam West and Carrie Fisher; Here’s Who Will Replace Her as Peter Griffin’s Boss (From Indiewire Television. 22 July 2017, 2:34 PM, PDT)
- Exclusive: Ryan Gosling Was In 'Constant State' of Nervousness Filming 'Blade Runner' With Harrison Ford (From Entertainment Tonight. 22 July 2017, 1:59 PM, PDT)
Robert Downey Jr.
- Update: Thanos and the Black Order featured on new Avengers: Infinity War Comic-Con poster (From Flickeringmyth. 22 July 2017, 2:22 PM, PDT)
- ‘Aquaman’ & Jason Momoa Rock In Comic-Con Presentation (From Deadline. 22 July 2017, 12:39 PM, PDT)
- Avengers: Infinity War: Josh Brolin Cracks A Villainous Grin In A New Behind-The-Scenes Photo (From ComicBookMovie. 22 July 2017, 10:58 AM, PDT)
- Stuck In Stories: The Films Of Christopher Nolan (From LRM Online. 21 July 2017, 10:05 AM, PDT)
- Movie Review – Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets (2017) (From Flickeringmyth. 21 July 2017, 1:30 AM, PDT)
- These Photos of Leonardo DiCaprio Beg the Question: How Hard Is It to Carry a Bag? (From Popsugar. 19 July 2017, 3:00 PM, PDT)