Disney’s “Beauty and the Beast” scored with audiences, racking up a massive $170 million domestically to become the biggest March debut ever and the seventh-best opening in history. The fairy tale remake added an additional $180 million to its haul from international territories, raking in big bucks in major markets like China and the United Kingdom.
Once again, Disney has successfully updated a “tale as old as time” for a new generation of moviegoers while retaining the sense of wonder and magic that made the 1991 animated version of “Beauty and the Beast” a cultural touchstone for an older audience. It continues the studio’s successful collection of live-action remakes of cartoon favorites like “The Jungle Book” and “Cinderella” and helps propel star Emma Watson to the top of the A-list. Here are five reasons “Beauty and the Beast” smashed records.
1.) Emma Watson Delivered
Movie fans grew up with Watson, watching the »
- Brent Lang
Similar News ItemsStar Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope (1977)
- Rogue One: A Star Wars Story’s Darth Vader Scene Was Kept Hidden From The Cast (From We Got This Covered. 29 March 2017, 4:37 PM, PDT)
- Oscar Isaac Is Reportedly Expecting His First Child! (From Popsugar. 29 March 2017, 3:04 PM, PDT)
- Star Wars Battlefront II to be unveiled on April 15th during Star Wars Celebration (From Flickeringmyth. 29 March 2017, 2:55 PM, PDT)
Robert Downey Jr.
- Spider-Man could leave the Marvel Cinematic Universe after Homecoming sequel (From Flickeringmyth. 29 March 2017, 1:15 PM, PDT)
- Spider-Man: Homecoming Director Teases Post-Credits Scene, New Photo Debuts (From We Got This Covered. 29 March 2017, 11:08 AM, PDT)
- “Spider-Man: Homecoming” drops a fun new Trailer (From Hollywoodnews.com. 29 March 2017, 10:25 AM, PDT)
- Darlene Cates, ‘What’s Eating Gilbert Grape’ Star, Dies At 69 (From Uinterview. 29 March 2017, 12:39 PM, PDT)
- Janeane Garofalo to Make Broadway Debut in “Marvin’s Room” (From Women and Hollywood. 29 March 2017, 11:02 AM, PDT)
- Exclusive: Why Michael Shannon Feels Lucky to Be Hollywood’s Most Reliable Supporting Actor (From Entertainment Tonight. 29 March 2017, 9:02 AM, PDT)