It seems that audiences are eager to drown out the threat of nuclear armageddon on the Korean peninsula by hitting up the multiplexes this weekend. Nothing makes Americans forget about a looming missile crisis like a demonically possessed children’s toy.
With cable news chyrons blaring the latest in the war of words between Kim Jong Un and President Donald Trump, “Annabelle: Creation” is shaping up to be a much more potent force than initially anticipated. The Warner Bros. and New Line horror film is on track to bring in as much as $38 million this weekend from 3,502 locations, according to Friday afternoon projections. Some rival studios even think it has a chance of hitting $40 million. No matter where it lands, the opening weekend will be a nice return on the film’s $15 million production budget. It’s also a much bigger debut than the $25 million launch that many were predicting the film would enjoy.
- Brent Lang
Similar News ItemsChristopher Nolan (I)
- Today in Movie Culture: A Western Filmed During the Eclipse, Marvel's 'The Defenders' Easter Eggs and More (From Movies.com. 21 August 2017, 11:00 PM, PDT)
- Women Sizzle at an Otherwise Not-So-Hot Summer Box Office (From Women and Hollywood. 21 August 2017, 9:01 AM, PDT)
- Daniel Craig Back as Bond + More U.K. Industry News (From Backstage. 21 August 2017, 5:00 AM, PDT)
- Tom Vaughan-Lawlor portraying a villain in Avengers: Infinity War (From Flickeringmyth. 22 August 2017, 1:44 AM, PDT)
- Cinemaholics #28: Logan Lucky Review (From We Got This Covered. 20 August 2017, 6:37 PM, PDT)
- The Avengers, the Guardians and Spider-Man team-up for Avengers: Infinity War promo art (From Flickeringmyth. 18 August 2017, 12:39 AM, PDT)
The Dark Tower (2017)
- Box Office Report: Reynolds and Jackson Pair Up for Victory, While Soderbergh Gets Mixed Reaction (From Movies.com. 21 August 2017, 12:00 PM, PDT)
- Box Office Weekend: The Hitman’s Bodyguard Bumps Off Annabelle (From CinemaNerdz. 20 August 2017, 9:01 PM, PDT)
- ‘Hitman’s Bodyguard’ Leads Worst Summer Weekend in Two Years; ‘Logan Lucky’ Opens Soft (From Indiewire. 20 August 2017, 1:01 PM, PDT)