Some new Mexican box office history has been made as the comedy “Do it Like an Hombre” followed its 68.7 million Mexican pesos ($3.89 million) opening weekend with a two weekend total of $130.3 million pesos ($7.4 million), giving it the highest Mexican movie box office total of 2017, according to comScore.
In its first weekend, including a Thursday first-day bow, the film was the country’s second-highest Mexican release ever after the 2013 smash-hit “Instructions Not Included,” which holds the top spot, though off a Thursday rather than Friday opening. 2016’s “Que Culpe Tiene el Nino”? earned a three-day 65.6 million pesos ($3.7 million), according to comScore.
The recent success of local hits in Mexico has helped in recent years to justify a massive growth in the number of theaters across the country. It may also suggest a shift away from the near absolute choke-hold that Hollywood blockbusters, especially animated movies, have held on the region’s box offices for years. At »
- Jamie Lang
Similar News ItemsEli Roth
- Elegy: To Be Tobe (From Dread Central. 13 September 2017, 12:17 PM, PDT)
- All About It's Scary Star Bill Skarsgard – and Why Playing Clown Pennywise Gave Him 'Nightmares for Weeks' (From PEOPLE.com. 7 September 2017, 5:02 PM, PDT)
- It’s Back: Orion Pictures Returns, and Just in Time for Toronto (From Thompson on Hollywood. 6 September 2017, 10:11 AM, PDT)
Nicolás López (III)
- Rumor: Joker Has A Permanent Smile In Joker Origin Movie (From LRM Online. 30 August 2017, 8:15 AM, PDT)
- Robert Zemeckis Pitched A DC Film To Warner Bros. (From LRM Online. 30 August 2017, 7:30 AM, PDT)
- Will Mexico’s number one movie, Hazlo Como Hombre, hit in America? (From Monsters and Critics. 30 August 2017, 6:32 AM, PDT)
- Do It Like An Hombre: Director Nicolas Lopez Talks About Converting Homophobia Into A Comedy (From LRM Online. 31 August 2017, 7:28 AM, PDT)
- Nicolas Lopez’s ‘Do It Like an Hombre’ Smashes 2017 Mexican Movie Records (From Variety - Film News. 12 August 2017, 6:44 AM, PDT)
- New Hazlo Como Hombre Movie Poster and Trailer (From CineMovie. 27 July 2017, 8:15 AM, PDT)