Top News

Apple Orders Ronald D. Moore Space Drama Series

Apple Orders Ronald D. Moore Space Drama Series
Exclusive: Ronald D. Moore is heading back to space. Apple has given a straight-to-series order to a space drama from the Battlestar Galactica developer. The untitled project hails from Sony Pictures Television and Moore's studio-based Tall Ship Productions. Created and written by Moore, along with Fargo co-executive producers Matt Wolpert and Ben Nedivi, the untitled series explores what would have happened if the global space race had never ended. Tall Ship Prods…
See full article at Deadline TV »

‘Star Wars: The Last Jedi’ Storms to Second-Biggest Thursday Preview Ever With $45 Million

‘Star Wars: The Last Jedi’ Storms to Second-Biggest Thursday Preview Ever With $45 Million
The Force remains unstoppable as Disney-Lucasfilm’s “Star Wars: The Last Jedi” opened with $45 million on Thursday night.

“Star Wars: The Last Jedi” set a record for the second-largest Thursday night preview gross in North America, trailing only “Star Wars: The Force Awakens,” which earned $57 million two years ago. “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2” had been the second-highest with $43 million. “Rogue One: A Star Wars Story” opened a year ago to $29 million at Thursday night previews.

Previews began Thursday at 6 p.m. in North America — about 12 hours after Disney announced it was spending $52.4 billion to acquire 21st Century Fox assets. On Friday, the film launches at 4,232 theaters in the U.S./Canada, including nearly 410 Imax screens, 640 premium large format, 3,600 3D locations, and 212 D-Box locations.

Early surveys of audience reactions Thursday night by comScore’s PostTrack found that 68% rated “Star Wars: The Last Jedi” as “excellent” and another 21% as “very good.” A
See full article at Variety - Film News »

ABC’s ‘Roseanne’ Reboot Sets Spring Premiere Date

  • The Wrap
ABC’s ‘Roseanne’ Reboot Sets Spring Premiere Date
ABC’s improbable full-cast revival of “Roseanne” is real, and now it has a premiere date. Fans of the show can find out just how the heck Dan Connors is still alive when the nine-episode 10th season debuts with a special hour-long episode on Tuesday, March 27 at 8 p.m. The full cast from the show’s original run is returning for the new go-round, including Roseanne Barr, John Goodman, Laurie Metcalf, Sara Gilbert, Michael Fishman, and both Beckys — Lecy Goranson, who originated the character and will play her in the revival, and Sarah Chalke, who will play a new character.
See full article at The Wrap »

‘Florida Project’ Producer Steps Down Amid Harassment Claims

‘Florida Project’ Producer Steps Down Amid Harassment Claims
Andrew Duncan, the producer of awards contender “The Florida Project,” is stepping down from his indie production company amid allegations of sexual harassment.

Duncan launched June Pictures a year ago, and has produced a handful of independent films including “Operator” with Martin Starr, and “Thoroughbred,” a breakout film at the Sundance Film Festival. In a statement, CEO Alex Saks said she has solidified plans to buy out Duncan’s stake in the company.

“In light of allegations of misconduct against our investor Andrew Duncan, I am assuming sole ownership and leadership of June Pictures,” Saks said. “June Pictures is committed to a respectful work environment dedicated to producing quality films. We will continue our projects already in production and development.”

Rumors of Duncan’s alleged sexual misconduct have been circulating for the last couple of weeks. The ouster poses a potential problem for “The Florida Project,” a portrayal of children living in poverty from director Sean Baker (“[link
See full article at Variety - Film News »

Oscars Foreign Language Shortlist Includes ‘The Square,’ ‘A Fantastic Woman’

Oscars Foreign Language Shortlist Includes ‘The Square,’ ‘A Fantastic Woman’
Sweden’s “The Square,” Russia’s “Loveless” and Chile’s “A Fantastic Woman” are among the nine films that will advance in the Oscars race for Best Foreign Language Film, the Academy announced on Wednesday. The other films that made the list come from Germany (“In the Fade,” starring Diane Kruger), Hungary (“On Body and Soul”), Israel (“Foxtrot”), Lebanon (“The Insult”), Senegal (“Félicité”) and South Africa (“The Wound”). Angelina Jolie’s Cambodian-language film “First They Killed My Father” did not advance in the race, and neither did the critically acclaimed “Bpm (Beats Per Minute)” by Robin Campillo. Also Read: 'In
See full article at The Wrap »

‘It’ Director Andy Muschietti Eyed for ‘Electric State’ From Russo Brothers

‘It’ Director Andy Muschietti Eyed for ‘Electric State’ From Russo Brothers
It” director Andy Muschietti is in talks with Russo Brothers Studio to board a movie version of Simon Stalenhag’s illustrated novel “The Electric State.”

The story, set in an alternative 1997, centers on a runaway teenager and her yellow toy robot as they travel through a strange USA, where the ruins of gigantic battle drones litter the countryside heaped together with the discarded trash of a high tech consumerist society in decline. As their car approaches the edge of the continent, the world outside the window seems to be unraveling ever faster as if somewhere beyond the horizon, the hollow core of civilization has finally caved in.

Muscietti, who’s attached to direct “It: Chapter 2,” would direct and produce “Electric State” with sister Barbara Muschietti and Rbs principals Joe and Anthony Russo, should the deal go through. Russell Ackerman and John Schoenfelder are also in talks to produce. Julian Angelin of The Salomonsson Agency and Simon Stålenhag will executive
See full article at Variety - Film News »

Mario Batali Out at ‘The Chew’ After Review of Sexual Misconduct Accusations Against Him

  • The Wrap
Mario Batali Out at ‘The Chew’ After Review of Sexual Misconduct Accusations Against Him
It’s official — Mario Batali no longer has a place at the table on “The Chew.”

An ABC spokesperson told TheWrap on Thursday that the celebrity chef after a review of the allegations made against him. “Upon completing its review into the allegations made against Mario Batali, ABC has terminated its relationship with him and he will no longer appear on ‘The Chew,'” the spokesperson said.

“While we remain unaware of any type of inappropriate behavior involving him and anyone affiliated with our show, ABC takes matters like this very seriously.
See full article at The Wrap »

Dustin Hoffman Accused of Exposing Himself to a Minor, Assaulting Two Women (Exclusive)

Dustin Hoffman Accused of Exposing Himself to a Minor, Assaulting Two Women (Exclusive)
Cori Thomas was in high school when she says Dustin Hoffman exposed himself to her in a hotel room. Melissa Kester was a recent college graduate when Hoffman allegedly sexually assaulted her while recording audio for the film “Ishtar.” A third woman, who asked to remain anonymous, said that Hoffman assaulted her in the back of a station wagon and manipulated her into a subsequent sexual encounter that left her traumatized.

Speaking to Variety, the women described predatory incidents involving Hoffman that fit into a pattern of alleged behavior that has emerged in the wake of previous sexual-misconduct claims against the now 80-year-old actor.

Representatives for Hoffman did not make him available to provide comment for this story. In a letter to Variety’s owner Penske Media Corp., Hoffman’s attorney Mark A. Neubauer of Carlton Fields Jordan Burt called the accusations against the actor “defamatory falsehoods.”

Thomas was 16 years old and a high-school classmate of Hoffman
See full article at Variety - Film News »

'Star Wars: The Last Jedi' Sets Sights on Becoming the Latest $200M+ Opener

'Star Wars: The Last Jedi' Sets Sights on Becoming the Latest $200M+ Opener
After a strong performance last month, the December box office is currently pacing ahead of 2016 by 3% while the overall year is still pacing just a bit behind 2016, currently by 4.2%. However, now comes what will surely be the highest grossing domestic release of the year, Star Wars: The Last Jedi. The latest film in the Star Wars franchise is looking to become only the fourth domestic release to ever open over $200 million, sure to assist in closing the year-to-year gap even further. Meanwhile, Fox has chosen to once again offer some counter-programming with the animated release Ferdinand. Two years ago they tried a similar tactic when they debuted the fourth installment of the Alvin and the Chipmunks franchise against Star Wars: The Force Awakens. Much like 2015, we're anticipating similar results. When forecasting the opening weekend for Star Wars: The Force Awakens back in 2015 it was a rather monumental task as no
See full article at Box Office Mojo »

Boba Fett Film Rumored to be in Development by Simon Kinberg

Boba Fett Film Rumored to be in Development by Simon Kinberg
A standalone Boba Fett movie has been announced for some time. However, there were some serious doubts about whether the movie would ever get made because the initial director Josh Trank was fired over Fantastic Four. Some sources have claimed that Trank was fired because of his poor behavior on the set for the movie, whereas other sources have claimed that the movie’s poor performance at the box office was the primary factor. Whatever the case, the firing of Trank as well as a prolonged lack of news put the Boba Fett movie into something of a limbo, so much

Boba Fett Film Rumored to be in Development by Simon Kinberg
See full article at TVovermind.com »

NBC’s ‘A.P. Bio’ Gets February Preview Date, ‘This Is Us’ Midseason Return Moved Back A Week

NBC’s ‘A.P. Bio’ Gets February Preview Date, ‘This Is Us’ Midseason Return Moved Back A Week
NBC has set a February 1 preview date for A.P. Bio, its new comedy from Saturday Night Live writer Mike O'Brien, SNL honcho Lorne Michaels and former SNL-er Seth Meyers.

A.P. Bio will air at 9:30 PM ET/PT February 1 following Will & Grace at 9 PM, then will return Thursday, March 1 in the same timeslot following the network’s coverage of the Winter Olympic Games.

In addition, This Is Us will return from its winter hiatus on Tuesday, January 9 at 9 PM, a week later than…
See full article at Deadline TV »

‘Good Time’ Directors Benny & Josh Safdie To Helm ’48 Hrs.’ Remake

‘Good Time’ Directors Benny & Josh Safdie To Helm ’48 Hrs.’ Remake
The success of “Good Time” has kicked open some doors for filmmakers Josh and Benny Safdie, who have spent years solidifying their indie cred. As they shared last month, some very big projects have started to cross their desk, though the duo are being selective about what they choose to do.

“….we’re talking about doing a remake of a movie. It’s weird, a studio offered us to do a sequel to this huge comic-book thing.

Continue reading ‘Good Time’ Directors Benny & Josh Safdie To Helm ’48 Hrs.’ Remake at The Playlist.
See full article at The Playlist »

Dwayne Johnson Strongly Considering Presidential Run in 2024 (Exclusive)

Dwayne Johnson Strongly Considering Presidential Run in 2024 (Exclusive)
No, it’s not a publicity stunt. Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson is actually considering running for President of the United States.

The multi-hyphenate superstar, who landed a star on the Walk of Fame this week and is gearing up for the release of his holiday blockbuster “Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle,” has a jam-packed slate of projects lined up through the next presidential election. Yet Johnson says he would “100% consider” running for office.

“I couldn’t do both,” he admits when asked by Variety about his burgeoning career as a movie star, producer and the businessman behind his company, Seven Bucks Productions, which he co-owns with his longtime manager and ex-wife, Dany Garcia. “Realistically, as we go into 2018, when you look at my slate as we’re developing and shooting into 2019 and 2020, the slate goes deep into 2021, so it feels like the realistic consideration would be 2024.”

Though Johnson has political ambitions on his mind, he never set
See full article at Variety - Film News »

‘Guardians of the Galaxy’ Director James Gunn to Produce Horror Movie for H Collective

‘Guardians of the Galaxy’ Director James Gunn to Produce Horror Movie for H Collective
Guardians of the Galaxy” director James Gunn will produce an untitled horror film for The H Collective.

Gunn’s brother Brian Gunn and cousin Mark Gunn are writing the screenplay. James Gunn will produce the project in between scripting “Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3” and starting production on the Disney-Marvel tentpole, which he will direct next year.

Gunn’s longtime collaborator David Yarovesky will direct the film, and The H Collective will fully finance and produce alongside Gunn and his Troll Court Entertainment. Brian and Mark Gunn, Dan Clifton, and The H Collective’s Nic Crawley will executive produce.

The horror pic is expected to go into production in the spring of 2018. Gunn directed the 2006 horror film “Slither” and the 2010 superhero comedy-drama “Super.” In between 2014’s “Guardians of the Galaxy” and 2017’s “Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2,” Gunn also penned and produced the horror film “The Belko Experiment,” which was released in March.

James Gunn and [link
See full article at Variety - Film News »

‘Star Wars: The Last Jedi’ Rockets to $60.8 Million in Early International Openings

‘Star Wars: The Last Jedi’ Rockets to $60.8 Million in Early International Openings
Star Wars: The Last Jedi” has launched internationally with a powerful $60.8 million in 48 markets in its first two days.

The Disney-Lucasfilm tentpole began its international run on Dec 13 in 14 markets, followed by an additional 34 territories on Dec. 14, opening in first place in all except for Turkey and South Korea.

“Star Wars: The Last Jedi” generated the second-largest debut day of all time in Germany, Australia, New Zealand, Finland, Netherlands, Sweden, and Iceland — behind only 2015’s “Star Wars: The Force Awakens” in each case. The movie was the third-biggest opening day for the U.K. and Norway.

It was also the top 2017 opening day in Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Hungary, Iceland, Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, Switzerland, and the U.K.Disney said “Star Wars: The Last Jedi” is 63% ahead of last year’s spinoff, “Rogue One: A Star Wars Story,” and 25% behind “Star Wars: The Force Awakens” in international markets so far.

Along with the U.
See full article at Variety - Film News »

Martin Ransohoff, Filmways Founder and ‘Cincinnati Kid’ Producer, Dies at 90

Martin Ransohoff, Filmways Founder and ‘Cincinnati Kid’ Producer, Dies at 90
Martin Ransohoff, who produced notable films of the 1960s and ’70s such as “The Cincinnati Kid” and “Save the Tiger” and co-founded Filmways Television, died Wednesday at his home in Bel-Air,Calif. He was 90.

Filmways produced some of the biggest TV hits of the 1960s including “The Beverly Hillbillies,” “The Addams Family,” “Petticoat Junction,” “Green Acres” and “The Hollywood Squares.”

Ransohoff later entered the movie business along with Filmways’ executive John Calley. Their first film was 1962’s “Boys’ Night Out,” followed by 1963’s “The Wheeler Dealers.” He also was behind the 1965 New Orleans-set drama, “The Cincinnati Kid,” which starred Steve McQueen, Edward G. Robinson, Ann-Margret, and Karl Malden. Ransohoff famously fired Sam Peckinpah from the film, feeling his vision was too dark, and hired Norman Jewison to direct.

He exited the company in 1972 to become an independent film producer.

Among his producing credits were Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton’s “The Sandpiper,” Tony Richardson
See full article at Variety - Film News »

Morgan Spurlock Steps Down From His Production Company After Sexual Misconduct Admission

  • The Wrap
Morgan Spurlock Steps Down From His Production Company After Sexual Misconduct Admission
Morgan Spurlock has stepped down from the production company that he co-founded after admitting that he had once been accused of rape and had been guilty of sexual misconduct in the past.

In a statement issued Thursday, Warrior Poets partners Jeremy Chilnick and Matthew Galkin said, “On behalf of Warrior Poets, we as partners have always supported our company and its endeavors. As of today, Morgan Spurlock will be stepping down effective immediately.”

The duo continued, “We will continue to lead the company as equal partners, producing, distributing & creating from our independent production company.”
See full article at The Wrap »

Warner Bros. Records Evp Jeff Fenster to Be Disciplined Over Sexual Misconduct Accusation (Report)

  • The Wrap
Warner Bros. Records executive vice president of A&R Jeff Fenster will be disciplined after being accused of sexual misconduct by a woman who formerly worked as an executive at the company, Billboard reports. Another unnamed executive will also face disciplinary action, according to Billboard. Warner Music Group issued a statement thanking the former employee for coming forward, according to Billboard, but declined to name the accused executives. Also Read: Tavis Smiley Dropped by Live Entertainment Producer Amid Sexual Misconduct Allegations “We are grateful to a former Warner Bros. Records employee for coming forward to raise these concerns with us,
See full article at The Wrap »

Aaron Sorkin to Receive Creative Impact in Screenwriting Award at Palm Springs Film Festival

Aaron Sorkin to Receive Creative Impact in Screenwriting Award at Palm Springs Film Festival
Variety has tapped Aaron Sorkin for the 2018 creative impact in screenwriting award at the Palm Springs International Film Festival.

The award will celebrate Sorkin’s prolific screenwriting career, which includes an Academy Award for “The Social Network” and multiple Emmy Awards for “The West Wing,” as well as his directorial debut with the upcoming film, “Molly’s Game,” opening Dec. 25. Sorkin has received Golden Globe and Critics’ Choice nominations for the screenplay of the film. He was honored earlier this year with a career achievement award at this year’s Zurich Film Festival.

“Molly’s Game” star Jessica Chastain will be presenting Sorkin the award at the annual brunch on Jan. 3. Chastain will receive the chairman award at the Psiff Film Awards Gala the evening before.

“It’s no exaggeration to say that Aaron Sorkin has dramatically changed the art of modern film and TV writing,” Steven Gaydos, vice president and executive editor of Variety, said. “With
See full article at Variety - Film News »

How Sara Bareilles Captured Billie Jean King's Courage in Original 'Battle of the Sexes' Song

How Sara Bareilles Captured Billie Jean King's Courage in Original 'Battle of the Sexes' Song
It was a little bit of a cosmic nod," says Sara Bareilles of how she came to write her song "If I Dare" for Fox Searchlight's Battle of the Sexes. Directors Jonathan Dayton and Valerie Faris, who were in need of an original song for their finished biopic about Billie Jean King, happen to be the next-door neighbors of Jessie Nelson, Bareilles' writing partner on her Tony-nominated musical Waitress. "The universe was like, 'Hey! Take a look at this!' " Introductions were made and a screening was set.

Starring Emma Stone and Steve Carell, Battle of the Sexes focuses on...
See full article at The Hollywood Reporter - Movie News »
loading
An error has occured. Please try again.